Just Asking

Friday, June 09, 2006

Polite driving

Three times while driving to work this morning, I was in a long line of pokey traffic filtering through a stop light or stop sign far ahead, and I saw an on-coming car with its left turn signal on, with a long line of cars behind it. Now, I am as much in a hurry to complete my drive as anyone else, but I saw absolutely no reason not to stop, flash my headlights, and let the fellow make his left turn, thereby unclogging the oncoming traffic. So I did (twice, I missed the third opportunity). But oddly enough, no one ahead of me did. Why not?

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Sotosoroto said...

Most people don't pay attention to the world around them.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Welcome, J.R. (Ewing?) ;)

Both AndrewsDad and Soto have addressed the issue of "having a future time orientation" in their blogs recently.

Apparently, the Seattle Public School District has defined Cultural Racism as "Those aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype, and label people of color as "other", different, less than, or render them invisible. Examples of these norms include defining white skin tones as nude or flesh colored, having a future time orientation, emphasizing individualism as opposed to a more collective ideology, defining one form of English as standard, and identifying only Whites as great writers or composers."

Did Seattle Public Schools really mean to say that non-white folks are less prone to recognize opportunities to affect the future? That is absolute balderdash!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home