Just Asking

Monday, October 16, 2006

Retail Tale #1

While I was standing in line to buy my lunch at Whole Foods, I listened to the woman ahead of me in line ask the clerk, "Have you been to one of these?" And she pointed at a sign advertising a singles event that was posted on the check-out stand facing the customers. The clerk looked confused and was speechless.

[This is where I thought of the Retail Tales blog. The link is on this page.]

The customer persisted, and they ended up having a pleasant two-way conversation during which the customer recommended that the clerk try it, that it was a fun event. Having been trained by the Retail Tales blog, I was flabberghasted at the number of implicit assumptions made by the customer (that the clerk could read the back of the sign, that the clerk was single, that the clerk was looking for a man, that the clerk wanted to go to such an event, that the clerk was willing to take advice on her love life from a stranger, have I missed some?). All considered, I thought the clerk handled it with grace.

2 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger mamurd said...

Aww! We've trained you see it from the clerks perspective. That's so cool! :)

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger mamurd said...

Oops! That should be clerk's, not clerks. Sorry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home