Just Asking

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Happy Birthday

To my grandfather, Grandpa Speed. He was born 111 years ago yesterday. I presume he got the nickname because he was not speedy on a basketball court as a high school kid in Thorp, Washington. I remember him having long conversations with his friend, Porter, sitting under a tree, alternately puffing on a pipe and stoking the pipe. Long conversations of few words, that is. "Bit windy today." 30 second pause. "A-yup." He is on the far right in this old photo. He died at age 81, a few months after this photo was taken.

3 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Buttercup said...

Grampa Speed must have been tall, like 6', in his younger days. I hadn't realized that, or more likely forgotten.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Diane L said...

I loved him & still miss him. He was a wonderful grandfather, patiently teaching small hands how to hold a fly rod and catch 6" cutthroat trout in a small mountain stream. Good memories . . .

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

I never thought of him as being short, like Gogo, so, yes, he must have been between 5-10 and 6-0 in his youth.

On my last hike, I was hiking alongside the North Fork Quinault (a small river), saw some good fishing holes, thought of him, and remembered what he had taught me about where to drop the fly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home