Just Asking

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Early Frost

I have my wireless weather station right next to the dahlia bed. A few nights ago, the neighbor's roof had a little frost on it in the morning, but the dahlias survived. I measured a low temperature of 33 F. Last night's low temperature was 30 F, and it turned the dahlia patch black. Guess they are not frost-hardy, not one bit.

In 2006, the dahlias lasted over three weeks later (November 5) (http://pedicularis.blogspot.com/2006/11/frost-damage.html).

2 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

can you send some frost down here please?

;-)

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Sotosoroto said...

The dahlias you gave us are blooming quite nicely now. I guess it helps to be within 400' of sea level (and within three miles of the sea). No frost here.

Lots of white, but also yellow, orange, and a couple purples -- including one bloom that's 8" across! I should take some photos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home