Just Asking

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Choosing Sides

Life is a lot more interesting if you choose sides, whether its sports or politics.

But sometimes you can end up in a pretty deep funk.

Like, this morning.

To try to grapple with the meaning of this election, I had a chat with a liberal coworker this morning and got her perspective on the election. She has no expectations that Obama will turn the economy around in 4 years, and expects the annual deficit to approach a trillion dollars. She is happy to see the Iraq war winding down and does not expect Obama to get us involved in any new wars. She claims he was elected for his vision for America, and she thought that was a great speech he gave last night. And it is really important to her that Obama is trying change America for the better, trying to do the right thing, and trying to present a fresh face to a world grown weary of Bush. I told her that results mattered to me, but she confirmed that results did not matter to her.

She made me more depressed. :(

3 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Me too.

I think the world has watched so much TV that we've become brainwashed to believe good looks + smooth talk = high performance or intelligence.

Charisma isn't going to get this nation out of this mess people!

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Diane L said...

I doubt if the worst fears or the greatest expectations about the new administration will materialize.

From what I can tell the pres elect is your basic workaholic and very, very organized. Abstemious and disciplined too. If he had any really bad habits, the Clinton campaign people would have sniffed them out and exposed them during the Primaries. Plus McCain really is an honorable man which he demonstrated with one of the most gracious concession speeches I've ever heard.

Life is a lot more interesting if you choose sides, whether its sports or politics.

Only for the winners . . . and only if the tone stays positive. When the tone is very negative, the recovery time is long and painful. But I also realize I'm not and never have been a very competitive person. :-)

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

I doubt if the worst fears or the greatest expectations about the new administration will materialize.

That is a message I have been giving to my friends as well.

"Life is a lot more interesting" includes the lows as well as the highs. Take my Husky football team, for example. :(

But, yes, choosing sides is a lot more fun when the tone stays upbeat. Cougs and Huskies are pretty good about keeping it civil, and my liberal friends and I try to stay civil in our political discussions. We did better this year than 2004. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home