Just Asking

Monday, May 21, 2007

High Gas Prices

On my way to work this morning, I passed an elementary school with a traffic jam. Parents were dropping their children off at school. I saw no child walking to school. This was in a lower-middle class neighborhood. Later, I followed a school bus, and it stopped a couple of times at the entrances to subdivisions to pick up riders. Each time, there were several cars parked at the bus stop with parents waving good-bye. To be fair, there were several parents standing there waving as well. It was not a cold day or a hot day, but it was raining lightly.

Then I hear that gasoline prices have hit an inflation-adjusted record high. I guess the price is not all that high if the parents can afford to drive their children to the bus stop or even to school!

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger asterisk said...

The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Self-Reliance," 1841

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

1841! I wonder what he would think of Americans today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home