Just Asking

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Ranking modern presidents

I think President Bush is one of the better presidents in my lifetime. I rank him just above his dad. Here are my rankings for presidents since 1952:

1. Reagan (8 years of economic growth, won the Cold War, encouraged Americans to be optimistic)
2. Eisenhower (several years of surplus, no wars)
3. G. W. Bush (6 years of economic growth, cut taxes, strong response to 9-11 attacks)
4. G. H. W. Bush (raised taxes and ended the growth period)
4. JFK (kept the civil rights movement rolling, cut taxes, stood up to the Soviet Union in Cuba)

Big jump here

5. LBJ (started massive social programs and entered the Vietnam War in a big year, which started deficit spending in a big way)
6. Ford (who?, what did he do?)
7. Nixon (resigned in disgrace, tried price fixing to help the economy, allowed a rare defeat for the U.S. military in Vietnam)
8. Carter (8% unemployment, 13% interest rates, unstable economy, mishandled Iran hostage situation)
9. Clinton (scandal after scandal, missed opportunities to capture Osama, invaded or bombed numerous countries for no good reason)

See, I'm not partisan: I put two Republicans in the bottom set and one Democrat in the top set.

3 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Stupid PF Tricks said...

I must have missed out on the Reagan economic growth. I was worse off when he left office than I was when he took office. (And I was worse off when Clinton left office than I was when he took office.)

Not sure how much more economic growth I can afford!rtfm2dxumpqua2

 
At 6:19 AM, Blogger Stupid PF Tricks said...

I must have missed out on the Reagan economic growth. I was worse off when he left office than I was when he took office. (And I was worse off when Clinton left office than I was when he took office.)

Not sure how much more economic growth I can afford!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Hmm, I see a pattern here. And it apparently does not matter which party is in the White House. Hope your luck has turned around during the Bush boom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home