Just Asking

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Igloo Building

I missed my annual igloo building trip this year. Here is a photo of an igloo we built last year.
That humble structure represents about 2 hours of hard work by two guys. It is big enough to sleep two adults and keep them "warm" (35 F) no matter how cold it is outside.

So this year, one of my star pupils (who has helped me build four igloos) built an igloo with a new fellow. They had some challenges, but they finished it, and the new fellow and his son slept in it. My pupil had a blast, and I was happy for him, and pleased that I had passed on my skill at building igloos.

Funny story. In the morning, a teenage boy who had slept in a tent nearby was given permission to knock down the igloo. After watching the precarious construction process the day before, he figured he could take a good run at it and throw his body onto it and knock it down. He tried it, crashed hard into the igloo, and bounced off. :)

He did not know that igloos freeze up solid over night. Soon they had three large kids standing on top of it, kicking holes in it to weaken the structure, before it finally collapsed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home