Just Asking

Saturday, February 07, 2009

Vivid Dream

My last dream this morning was very vivid. I was in my office when I heard a commotion out near the front door. When I went out to see what was going on, there was a huge pile of REI products filling the office entryway -- so many that it was hard to get past them. As I recall, this pile included about a dozen external frame backpacks, a pile of new camping stoves in their original boxes, several huge boxes (4 feet tall, 12 feet long, and a foot wide), and more stuff that I glanced at but did not identify. At about that time, a meeting of people who had been meeting with my boss broke up, and they all squeezed past the pile as they left.

One of the three guys who made the delivery presented me with a VISA bill to sign. Oddly, it was not a normal REI slip, but an ordinary small one, like one from a convenience store. The bottom line with tax was $8,599.13. [I might be off by a few pennies, but I remember the 8,599 clearly because I rounded it up to 8,600 in my dream.] Since I was rather shocked, he offered to let me think about it while he and his crew took a break and went to get something to eat. I guess I had the option of refusing delivery. So they left me with all the REI stuff and the bill.

My first thought was that this was a gift from my wife, and that she was going to think this was a hilarious way of delivering it. But I was confused, because it was not Christmas or my birthday. And it was way more stuff than I could us. I wondered if she was expecting me to give it away to a scout troop. And I was confused because it was being delivered COD, as though she had not paid for it when she ordered it. I was also wondering if I would be able to pack all this stuff into my Subaru Forester. It holds a lot with the back seats down, but this was a huge pile. I was trying to call her on my cell phone when I woke up.

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger asterisk said...

“We are no longer in a state of growth; we are in a state of excess. We are living in a society of excrescence. The boil is growing out of control, recklessly at cross purposes with itself, its impacts multiplying as the causes disintegrate.”

Jean Baudrillard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home