Just Asking

Friday, June 09, 2006

Pedicularis photos

Three of six Cascade Mountain species of Pedicularis: Rainier lousewort (yellow), Sickletop (Parrotbeak) lousewort (white), and Elephanthead lousewort (pink). See the elephant ears and trunk? The other three, not shown, are Bracted, Contorted, and Birdsbeak louseworts. The scientific name for Birdsbeak lousewort is the fun-to-say Pedicularis ornithorhyncha. For a great website of Washington State flowers, shrubs, ferns, and trees, see:
http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php





3 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

The yellow ones always have sort of looked like popcorn to me.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Oh, I doubt that you have seen the yellow one I show in my picture. It is found only on the flanks of Mt. Rainier. But look closer at whatever you have in Colorado and Texas, and look for the little birds beak and flappy ears. Even the pedicularis in my photo has a birds beak (it is P. vulgaris, BTW)

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

yes, well not exactly. I have these in my front yard, which are some-what similar:

http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/snapdragons-yellow.jpg

Looks like popcorn :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home