Just Asking

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Road Trip

When I bought my pickup truck in 1993, it did not come with a radio. So I had an AM/FM radio with cassette player installed. I recorded the cassette tapes off of LP records, and that worked just fine. I carried several tapes in the glovebox for variety. I have almost forgotten that I had to fast forward a cassette tape to skip a song. Yuk!

About ten years later, my wife gave me an AM/FM radio with a CD player for my pickup. And she recorded CD’s for playing on the road, so I typically carried 4-6 CDs in the glove box with about 20 songs on each CD. This was much better, more songs in the glove box, better sound quality, and just press a button to skip a song.

This Christmas, my son gave me a Nano iPod along with a RoadTrip kit. The RoadTrip plugs into the cigarette lighter for power, and the iPod plugs into it. It is essentially a tiny FM radio station, with the music coming from the iPod. The existing FM radio receives and amplifies the FM broadcast, and puts it over the car speakers. The iPod will hold about 1,200 songs, which can be sorted by Artist or by Playlist. Song quality is almost as good as the CD itself. I’ve come a long way since 1993!

2 Comments:

At 3:35 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Welcome to the future! Now all you need is Napster. :)

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Actually, the very liberal King County (Seattle and surrounding) has an excellent CD collection available through the county library system, along with an Internet website to select and place the CDs on hold. All for free. http://www.kcls.org/ Use the search feature and check out the cool dynamic graphic on the left with hot links to your search request.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home