Just Asking

Friday, March 14, 2008

Pi Day

I learned something new this morning. Today is Pi Day.
http://www.piday.org/

You know, pi. The ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Despite my love of mathematics, numbers, and trivial data, I have never heard of Pi Day before today, when I heard about it from my local talk radio host. Check out this cool clock you can buy at piday.org.

Now that you know about it, isn't it obvious why today is Pi Day?

Pi humor:
Pi to i: Stop being so complex!
i to Pi: When you stop being so irrational!
By terry moore

8 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Iris said...

I don't get it. I tell the day by a calendar and you are showing a clock. ????

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Pi is about 3.14? March 14?

Other than pi, there is no connection between the date and clock. But the clock is marked in radians. Pi radians = 180 degrees. I guess that is something only engineers, mathematicians, physicists. and computer geeks know, partly because the SIN, COS, and TAN functions in computer codes accept radians, not degrees.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Stupid PF Tricks said...

I didn't know there was talk radio for geeks!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Sotosoroto said...

That's a great clock! (-:

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Do we get gifts on Pi day?

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

The number of gifts you will get on Pi Day is equal to

exp(i * pi/2)

:)

Which is better than

exp (i * pi)

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

-1...
does that mean that my gift is actually taken away??? lol

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Pedicularis said...

Yup. It is better to have received an imaginary gift than to have one taken away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home